Week 10 Story: The Great Wolf

The wolf searching for food.
(Source: Wikipedia)
Hey guys, there's an updated version on my portfolio, here!

Once upon a time, there was a skinny grey wolf who wandered around for hours trying to find something to eat. He searched for some food and even tried to kill some small animals. However, he was so weak from starvation and was unable to succeed in his hunt. The poor wolf hasn’t had a good meal for a couple of days now until one day everything changed for him.
During his search for food, the wolf spotted a great lion killing this big buffalo in just a matter of seconds. The wolf couldn’t believe his eyes and how strong this lion was capable of killing such a big animal. He followed the lion back to his den where he confronted the great lion. The wolf stooped to the lion’s feet and begged the lion to help him get some good food to eat as he was very weak. The wolf continued to tell the lion he would do anything for him. At first, the lion wasn’t too sure what to say to the wolf. He decided to help the wolf and made a deal with the wolf. Whenever he made a kill, he would give a portion of the hunt to the wolf. All the wolf had to do was spot the animal and come tell the lion to go kill it. The wolf instantly agreed to the deal.
Every day, the wolf would climb above the den where the lion stayed and looked out for big animals. Just like the lion said whenever he saw an animal he should come tell the lion, which he did. As days went by, the wolf ate pretty well and got bigger. He didn’t feel weak anymore and he got bigger. He was much stronger than before, and his muscles grew in size because of all the meat he was eating.
The wolf decided that he was strong enough now to hunt his own food, and he didn’t need the lion’s help anymore. He told the lion that was going to kill an elephant on his own. The lion said that the wolf would be a fool if he thought he could kill that big of an animal on his own. The wolf disagreed with the lion and thought he had what it took. Next thing you know the wolf went out to try to kill an elephant. He spotted an elephant on its own and took this opportunity. As he attacked the elephant, it fought back and swung the wolf off its back. The wolf hit a tree nearby but was lucky enough to escape with minor injuries.
From a distance, the great lion saw the whole thing go down. He then told the wolf that it takes more than just strength to attack such a big animal. The lion mentioned how the wolf acted very foolishly thinking he could take down an elephant because he was not weak anymore. As hard as it was to admit, the wolf knew the lion was right. He asked the lion to teach him strategies to hunt larger animals, so he could become just as great as the lion. The great lion agreed to teach the wolf, so he could hunt for himself. Soon, the wolf got better at hunting and just as good as the lion.  

Author's Note: In my story, I kept the overall plot the same except the ending. The original story's ending had the wolf die trying to kill the elephant because of his ignorance. The wolf thought he could kill such a large animal because it was much stronger from all the meat it got with the lion's help. I decided to change the ending where the wolf realizes that he wasn't ready for that big step yet. I wanted the lion to help the wolf in noticing that it takes more than just strength to being a good hunter.

Bibliography The Foolhardy Wolf by Ellen C. Babbitt.

Comments

  1. Hi Jesika! I really like stories that give us some kind of logical background to how animals inherited the traits that they have today. I could almost picture the lion snorting at the wolf when the wolf believes that he could take down an elephant. I am somewhat curious as to how one lion can take down a buffalo though. Those things are pretty big too. Overall, this was a great story, and I hope you have a good semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Jesika!
    I really enjoyed your story. This reminded me of when I lived in Africa and I went on a safari. You would see packs of lions sneaking in on bigger prey like water buffalo, and then attack the buffalo as one. And each lion would have its own part of the attack as the wolf and the lion had in your story I look forward to reading your future stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there Jesika! I enjoyed reading your story! I'm a huge fan of your style of writing. Your use of many descriptive words made the story really interesting and easy to want to keep reading. I also really like the way that you changed up the story, but also kept the main idea easily recognizable. It is really cool how there are these stories available to help people understand logically how or why some things happen. I really can't wait to read more of your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jesika! I love the lesson of this story in which the wolf learns not to feel overconfident in his abilities and I'm so happy that it ended happily in contrast to the original story. I think that if I was to write my own version of your story, I would make the lion come to the rescue of the wolf right when he was about to be killed by the elephant to show that the lion was benevolent in nature!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jesika!
    I'm glad this had an happy ending (well, happier ending anyway), unlike the original story. Hopefully this will serve as a lesson for the wolf in the future and he will remember to not get too arrogant. I think we could all use that lesson and find ways to ground ourselves at times. Great story and thanks again for not killing the wolf off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jesika,
    This was a good story and I was glad to be able to read it. It was good seeing how you made this ending a little happier than the original story was. You made this story very descriptive, which was great for making it easier to keep the readers attention. I look forward to seeing more of your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jesika! I like your story, and how you changed the ending to suit a different purpose. I think there may be a problem with the verb tenses - it all sort of shifts around at different points instead of being consistent. Verb tense can be really hard when you write the first draft, so don't worry if you make a few mistakes. It requires a lot of attention, but that is one thing I would definitely try to work on. The wrong verb tense can make a story very confusing for a reader!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Jesika. I really enjoyed your story, it has a great theme to it. Your writing is great and I felt like I could really picture what was going on and the different characters personalities. The way you changed the ending was something I enjoyed, i would have been sad if the wolf died. You kept it positive and light. Your story had a great underlying meaning of being able to achieve only what you are capable of. It is not good to ignorant and naive when it comes to your own life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jesika! I like how you start your story with a beautiful picture of a wolf, and you do a great job of explaining your protagonist’s motivations from the start. The lion was a strong presence, as he is in all the old stories, and the progression of events is natural and easy to follow. I appreciated the morals of searching for wisdom and knowing your limits, and thought this was a lovely take on Babbit’s Jatakas- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jesika! I like that you made it a happier ending than the original! So many of the stories in this class have so much sad stuff involving death. Some might argue that the wolf not paying for his foolishness devalues the message of the story. However, I think the readers will still understand the story. Nonetheless, I greatly appreciated the change of plot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Jesika! I just wanted to say that I loved your story! Wow! I can see that you put a lot of hard work and creativity into your writing! You also grabbed my attention and had it till the very end! Therefore, keep up the good work! I look forward to reading more of your stories! Good luck with the rest of your semester! It is close to being over! Also, have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Dentist